The chicken wings in the air fryer are hot!
Do you like chicken wings? Do you love your air fryer? For me, the chicken wings and the deep fryer are a perfect match.
These air fryer chicken wings are quicker than going to the counter, ordering, and waiting for your wings to fry up. Best of all, they’re super juicy, taste amazing, and only take 20 minutes in the air fryer. And they are not fried!
Chicken wings in a deep fryer, a match made in heaven
For me, the air fryer is the best option for juicy, crispy chicken wings. Air fryers circulate hot air and oil around the wings to achieve a perfectly crispy shell and keep the interior extra juicy. Baking wings in the oven takes an hour, but air fryer chicken wings only take 20 minutes from start to finish, which means the wings have no chance of drying out.
How to make deep fryer chicken wings
- Lightly clean your chicken. Moisture is not your friend when you want a crispy chicken wing, so be sure to pat your wings dry with a paper towel.
- Oil lightly. Lightly oil chicken by brushing with oil or spraying with cooking spray. This will promote even browning.
- Cover the chicken. This is where the magic happens. Toss the wings in a large bowl with a little baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Air fry. Lightly spray (or brush) the fryer basket with oil. Arrange the wings in a single layer, with a small gap between each wing.
- return to Flip the wings and fry again.
- Lancer. Enjoy the wings as is or mix them with sauce!
How long to cook chicken wings in a deep fryer:
It takes 20 minutes to cook the wings in the deep fryer. Bake your wings for 15 minutes at 400°F, turn them over and bake for another 5 minutes at 400°F. If you want extra crispy wings, let them rest for 5 minutes, then give them another 5 minute touch at 400°F for even more crispiness.
The wings will cook according to the size of the wings and your air fryer packaging, if your wings are very large add an additional 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Basic Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
The key to truly flavorful air fryer chicken wings is a well-seasoned base. Do you know how super good and flavorful wings are in restaurants in a way that never seems possible at home? The secret is to season the wings before dipping. It’s layers upon layers of flavor, all the way!
For these wings, I coated them in a little baking powder, along with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. The result was incredibly juicy, crunchy and tasty.
This base seasoning mix of salt, garlic, onion and pepper is the perfect base layer for all other sauces. This will make your wings extra: extra flavorful, extra flavorful (because the sauce will have something to stick to), and extra delicious.
Extra Crispy Fried Chicken Wings
the secret of extra crunchy the chicken wings from the deep fryer are baking powder (without baking soda) and salt. Basically, the pH of the baking powder makes the surface of the wings brown more easily. A little salt removes extra moisture from the surface of the skin and the air fried chicken wings are crispy and golden brown.
Chicken wings vs. other sauces
These wings are 100% good enough to eat on their own, on their own. But variety is also the spice of life, amirite?!
Air fryer chicken wings are the best buffalo wings ever. Chicken wings are super simple: equal parts Frank’s Red Hot and melted butter. We like to mix it up and use other hot sauces, like buffalo sriracha or crystal buffalo.
The truth is that we almost always reduce the amount of butter or leave it completely to give it a healthier touch. We made these specific wings with just Secret Habanero Aardvark sauce (best hot sauce ever) and they turned out terrific. You can also make these wings:
- korean wings – in a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon each of ketchup, gochujang, honey, and brown sugar, 1/2 tablespoon each of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and grated ginger, as well as 2 crushed garlic cloves. Learn more about Korean fried chicken here.
- Pok Pok Fish Sauce Wings – combine 1 tablespoon of lime juice, fish sauce and sugar, with 1 crushed garlic clove and 1/2 sliced Thai chili. Let stand 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld before blending. Learn more about Pok Pok Style Fish Sauce Chicken Wings here.
- Honey Garlic Wings – Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and add 8 crushed garlic cloves and cook until tender but not brown. Add 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of water, bring to a boil, then toss with the wings.
- ranch wings – Ranch is a must for dunking and let me tell you, tossing wings in ranch powder is a pro move. For the recipe, check out this comprehensive article on Alitas Rancheras.
- vietnamese wings – it’s a dry shot that is out of this world, trust me. These are the ultimate umami wings. I could eat pounds and pounds of these wings and never get tired of them. For more information, check out this article on Vietnamese deep fryer wings.
Frozen chicken wings in the deep fryer
Can you make frozen chicken wings in the air fryer? Surprisingly, you can! You’ll have to cook the wings a bit longer and they won’t be as crispy, but if you’re in a hurry, this is a pretty amazing party trick.
To make Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings:
- Lancer wings in the baking powder spice mixture and place in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes, flip and cook for another 10 minutes.
- return to again, drizzle them with a little oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Donner Flip them one last time, spray and cook for 5 minutes.
Total, frozen wings from the air fryer will take about 35 minutes depending on how crispy you want.
How many wings can I make at once?
You can do about 1 pound of wings at a time, depending on the size of the wings. If you are a lover of wings, consider buying a rack for your fryer because you can triple the capacity of making wings.
If you’re shopping for a rack, either online or offline, be sure to check the diameter to make sure it will fit your air fryer!
What is the best air fryer?
Is our air fryer discontinued? but we love him very much. The Philips XL (well, actually the XXL) is what we’d get if ours broke.
Can I make them in the oven?
Yes, you can bake them in the oven, it takes 45 minutes at 400ºF. Place them on a rack on a foil-lined baking sheet and turn halfway through cooking. If you have convection mode, that means you have a giant air fryer! Just follow the same instructions as with an air fryer, maybe with an extra 5 minutes in case the oven temperature isn’t quite as accurate.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Chicken Wings:
- season your chicken
- Dry the chicken as much as possible, the drier the chicken the crispier it will be
- Do not overload the air fryer
- Use pincers to flip its wings instead of shaking the basket
- For the best fries, double fry: let the chicken rest after frying, then return to the fryer for another 5 minutes.
More Deep Fryer Recipes!
air fryer chicken wings
The best way to make chicken wings, period.
To serve 2
- one kg chicken wings
- one coffee spoon chemical yeast no baking soda
- one coffee spoon garlic powder
- 1/2 coffee spoon onion powder
- 1/2 coffee spoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 coffee spoon select cashier or to taste
optional chicken wing sauce
- 1.5 Soup hot sauce optional, see notes
- 1.5 Soup the butter cast, optional, see notes
Check out the post for more sauce ideas than just the basic Buffalo!
Nutritional values are for wings only and do not include sauce.
air fryer chicken wings
Amount per serving (5 wings)
Calories from fat 298
% Daily value*
saturated fat 9.3g58%
Sodium 433 milligrams19%
Potassium 593 milligrams17%
The carbohydrates 3gone%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.